Do Trimarans Plane?
Ever wonder if a trimaran can plane on the surface of the water or not? Naval architect Michael Waters answered this technical question recently at the SmallTrimaranDesign.com site, which is beginning to feature some of his articles.
He offered a good explanation about what is actually happening when “planing” occurs and some of the factors involved. Among them are:
– The driving force to create a planing situation
– The type of edge on a foil that encourages planing to occur
– A formula for lift as it relates to the issue
– The factors needed for a trimaran to plane
– How ama transoms may affect whether or not planing situation might occur on a trimaran