Here is a YouTube video featuring a garage-built hydrofoil trimaran. It was recently posted by a sailor identifying himself as Craig Tuffnell.
The vid’s description on YouTube reads as follows:
“Garage project – prototype hydrofoil trimaran. Sailing in the Marlborough Sounds, New Zealand during January 2014. These are the first trials up on the hydrofoils in light and puffy winds. Great fun, easy to sail and more stable than expected. Still needs a few mods to improve performance. Completely disassembles for transporting on (and in) a car! Takes about 30 minutes to assemble.”
Pretty neat … in a nice breeze … on a flat water surface :-)
We’d love to find out some more about this one. Maybe Craig will see this post and reply.
(Thanks to Tom Williams for sending me the video clip below).
UPDATE 01-22-14: I received the following info, along with some pictures, from Craig — the builder/sailor. He saw this post and offers the following:
Thanks for posting my trimaran. Its certainly had more interest than I thought it would have. It’s called “Kotuku”, the Maori name for the White Heron. I live in Christchurch New Zealand and the video shows me sailing in the Marlborough Sounds.
My goal was to keep it simple and make it easy and fun to sail – a bit of a challenge with hydrofoils, but I think I have come close. The foils are all retractable and there is an adjustable flap on the rudder foil. Unfortunately, I can’t adjust the flap without stopping – something I need to change!
The hulls are carbon (main hull) and glass (amas) wrapped around wire cut and sanded extruded polystyrene and vacuum bagged. There are plenty of improvements to make, such as replacing the rudder and rudder foil and changing the crossbar to carbon now that I am happy with it.
The nose dive in the video (same incident in both instances) was the only significant crash in 4 days of sailing and I dug in deeper than I should have because I was very slow releasing the main sheet. The good thing was that I didn’t completely pitch-pole. As you can see I’ve tried to keep plenty of buoyancy forward of the mast.
Its been a fun project and many hours in the garage!